Wednesday, June 19, 2013

When I saw death


 

 
Dear friends, I am going to share with you my chilling personal experience, which happened few years back , 19th June 2009 to be exact.
 I along with my family decided that summer to go for "Shri Amarnath ji Yatra". It has been my long cherished desire to have a "Darshan" of naturally formed Ice Shiv Lingam at "Shri Amarnath Ji" in Kashmir .Due to heavy rush we couldn’t get Air tickets and decided to make journey on ponies from base camp Baltal to the Holy cave- a distance of about 15 kms. But we had hardly gone for about 6 kms when we decided to leave the ponies and continue the trek on foot as the ponies were not very stable due to the slippery and narrow track and I almost fell down once. However with "Bhole Baba’s" (Lord Shiva's) grace we reached the Holy Cave and had a great "Darshan" of the ice Shiv Lingam – a rare sight and it filled my mind with peace and tranquilly. At that moment it started snowing and we decided to come back before the weather turned more nasty. On the way back due to the bad weather and rush of devotees we were caught in a jam on a slippery and muddy track with almost a foot deep slush and mud. Rain intensified and we were thoroughly soaked in spite of the raincoats. Kids were feeling the ill effects of cold and we were not able to move at all due to the jam and to make things worse, it became dark –the night had descended. My younger daughter was shivering uncontrollably. I gave her my woolen cap and gloves as additional protection. Some how with help of few good "Samartians" we were able to descend  the track and reached the place called "Sangam". There was a small tea shop which was already occupied fully and there were no other relief camps there and it was still raining and time was about 9 pm. Temperature had almost fell down to sub-zero We had to move on as we couldn’t have stayed there all night in the open and with the help and support of the same young boys who helped us earlier we started the next journey—but it was a uphill climb now at the gradient of almost 30 degree. The slippery track and heavy rain made it very difficult. We managed to climb about 500 meters then we could move no further as the track became very slippery slushy and dangerous. We all – 5 of us and 5 of our support party led by one "Sumit Sagar" from Delhi, sat there and waited for the rain to stop. But it was not to be- rain continued along with sleet and we felt our hands and feet going numb. Kids –who were earlier complaining of cold, were now not even whimpering-and that was not a good sign. It was very scary. Our support party leader Sumit told me that we can’t move further as the track beyond that is more difficult and we will not be able to negotiate it in this weather and neither can be go back to Sangam till the rain stops and take shelter in BSF camps. It was then that the deadly reality struck me  – that we were caught in very dangerous and hopeless situation and any thing. I mean anything could have happened. All depended on stopping of the rain. Till then we were stuck there ..Meanwhile condition of the kids became worse and even my wife was almost …on the verge of collapse…kids were not even responding..I lost all hope .. and for once I saw Death ...so nearby.. I made my final prayers "WHEN I SAW DEATH" …!!. As a last try I requested Sumit to take us down at any cost .. he himself –although a very experienced and adept trekker was shaky and told me to wait till rain stops.. I said to him it may be too late then --as  we had no other option -we took a deep breath prayed to the God and made a human chain of ten people and slowly and slowly inched our way to Sangam. We almost slithered on our backs ..fearing every second that one wrong step and we will be in rushing waters of nullah flowing below . At last we reached down .. and requested the BSF people to give shelter at least to kids and my wife. To our good luck the officer on duty was very considerate and immediately took them inside their kitchen, gave them blankets and gave a special care to my son –who was almost loosing consciousness. They warmed him with kerosene fired heaters and wrapped him in special quilts..  I was accommodated in the sentry post along with 7-8 other people, which also had kerosene heater to keep us warm. I spent the whole night standing there – but due to the timely help by BSF people, my and my family’s life was saved. My wife and myself just lost our great toenails and had few blisters and chill blains on feet – but then that is a small price to pay for our lives. I once again Salute the BSF personnel and  Sumit Sagar and his friends – "Kalu , Rishu , Vicky" and 5th unnamed – who were like God sent ambassadors – who really saved us before the BSF people took over .. A BIG THANKS TO ALL OF THEM  and the Almighty God – without whose wish nothing is possible
I also owe this to the best wishes of all of you. .
 I will remember this Yatra throughout my life.

                                                                                                     - Dr. Rajender Sharma
 

3 comments:

  1. Makes me remeber your pic on fb frpm the trip, upset, maybe the experience of the prevous day, or simply fatigue and cold. Not the usual smiling couple. Anyway, undoubtedly God is great, and he can cause anu wonder or miracle to happen anywhere, any time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me remeber your pic on fb frpm the trip, upset, maybe the experience of the prevous day, or simply fatigue and cold. Not the usual smiling couple. Anyway, undoubtedly God is great, and he can cause anu wonder or miracle to happen anywhere, any time.

    ReplyDelete